PORT BURWELL MARINE MUSEUM & HISTORIC (1840) LIGHTHOUSE
2016 Children's Program - see information below. Registration Form
Port Burwell is situated on the north shore of Lake Erie. The Big Otter Creek has been a major factor in the history of this port. The timber boom also led to a thriving ship building industry. Seventy-one sailing ships are recorded to have been built at Port Burwell during the 19th century. Not only lumber ran out, the arrival of the railroad around 1900 increased the importance of the harbour for the shipping of coal from Pennsylvania.
The museum's abundant collection of historic artifacts, incredible collection of lighthouse lenses including the rotating fresnel lens and period photographs facilitate a look into Port Burwell's past and spur memories of the port's earlier days. Visitors to Port Burwell, as well as local residents, will enjoy a fascinating collection of stories depicting the town's history and its relation to the marine life of Lake Erie.
The Marine Museum and Historic Lighthouse is a tribute to the history is Port Burwell. Local volunteers and students, who keep the traditions and history of their village alive, staff the museum. The museum and lighthouse are open May Victoria Day Weekend to September Labour Day.
For an amazing view of Port Burwell and Lake Erie, climb to the top of the historic lighthouse.
2016 Admission Prices (Cash only): 12 & Under Free; Adults (13+) $3.00 per person one site; Adults (13+) $5.00 per person for both Marine Museum and Lighthouse; Family $8.00 per family one site; Family $12.00 per family for both Marine Museum and Lighthouse. For 2016, Museum Season Pass valid until September 5th for unlimited attendance for both the Marine Museum and Lighthouse for $15.00 per person.
Children's Program - Program will run from 1-4 pm. on Wednesdays, July 6, 13, 20, 27, and Aug 3 at the Marine Museum for Ages 6 - 12 yrs. Cost is $4.00 per child per day. Drink and snack provided or bring your own. Contact the Museum at 519-874-4807 or the municipal office 519-866-5521 for more information and registration. Click on Registration Form to download the form and drop off at the museum or municipal office or bring on the day of the program. Our 2016 Theme "Summer of Wonders". See Flyer for more details.
A: 20 Pitt Street
A: 17 Robinson Street
Port Burwell, Ontario N0J 1T0
(Seasonal Mid-May to Labour Day)
The Municipality of Bayham gratefully acknowledges the financial support of the Government of Canada in providing funding to assist in the hiring of summer museum students.
EDISON MUSEUM OF VIENNA
Visit "EDISON & BAYHAM HISTORY ON DISPLAY" at Bayham's Family Table Restaurant, 6209 Plank Road, Vienna, Open Daily 6 am - 3 pm. The Museum Building at 14 Snow St is CLOSED to the public.
Edison History - Four generations of Edison’s survived floods, fires, wars, revolutions and epidemics to become one of the founding families of Vienna, Ontario, once dubbed “the most flourishing place in Canada West” by a Toronto reporter in 1851.
Edison Museum - The museum, boasting authentic artifacts donated by the last surviving Edison descendant in Vienna, Nora Edison Coombe, first cousin of Thomas Alva Edison, is a testament to one of the most exciting eras of Canadian history. The museum is the Howard Home which was built in 1853, on land once owned by the Edison Family. The house was used as the local doctor's office for several decades in the 1800s.
Edison Family - In 1811, United Empire Loyalist John Edison migrated from Nova Scotia to Vienna with his wife and ten children to become the first person to build a permanent structure in Vienna, Ontario. He was the Great-Grandfather of famed inventor, Thomas Alva Edison. This Canadian connection was formed when Vienna resident, Samuel Jr., decided to join the Mackenzie Rebellion of 1837, thus, due to a $500 bounty on his head, was forced to flee the country. By 1847 Sam and his family had settled in Milan, Ohio. On February 11th of that year Thomas Alva Edison was born to become the first American of his immediate family.
As a young child Thomas made several trips to Vienna, Ontario to visit his grandfather Captain Samuel Sr. Edison at the family homestead. In 1933, Henry Ford moved the 1820s homestead to Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan due to his interest in its historic significance, as well as his friendship to Thomas himself. In Vienna, however, we have continued to maintain the history of this Canadian connection.
For further information contact:
Edison Museum of Vienna
Monday - Friday
Office Hours: 8:30am - 4:30pm
Elgin County Museum
The Elgin County Museum exists to promote Elgin County's rich historical and agricultural heritage by acquiring, preserving, exhibiting and interpreting artifacts pertaining to the history of the County of Elgin; and to provide leadership and support to County museums in the promotion of a heritage partnership.
The Museum opened in its new facility on the fourth floor of the Administration building at 450 Sunset Drive, in the fall of 2006. Many significant improvements to the Museum include climate-controlled storage areas, customized exhibit space, greater opportunities for public programming and the ability to provide outreach services to County museums.
| Elgin County Museum
A: 450 Sunset Drive