The original burial ground was a triangular piece of ground with 158 feet of frontage on the fifth line road (Jackson Line). It was located in the northeast corner of Lot 13 North Concession 5 on the west side of the spring creek that flows into Lot 13 near this point.
In light of information from Bayham Township, Deeds & Index to Deeds, Abstract Index A & B, 1812 -1901, Archives of Ontario, Toronto, Ontario, probably this piece of property was purchased from Peter Johnson around 1860.
Why the cemetery is called Smuck Cemetery is not clear. Robert Smuck was secretary-treasurer of Bayham Township School Section Number Twelve, and the school known as Smuck School, was situated on the very northwest corner of Lot 14 North Concession 5 just on the east side of the spring creek. Perhaps the school and cemetery started sharing a common moniker.
In 1901 the cemetery board purchased additional ground from the Humphrey family. This property had approximately 50 feet of frontage on the fifth line. It lay to the west side and adjoined the original cemetery and ran the full length of the original burial ground.
Again in 1928 the Humphrey’s sold another piece of ground with about 35 feet of frontage on the fifth line. This piece adjoined the property purchased in 1901.
According to the records of July 28, 1941 meeting of the Smuck Cemetery Board, Wallace Humphrey, Robert Jackson and Ray Thurston were voted unanimously to be the trustees. Robert Jackson moved and Ray Thurston seconded that Wallace Humphrey act as secretary-treasurer. This is a post that Wallace Humphrey filled with dedication and diligence until the 1980’s.
In the spring of 1945 the board replaced some of the posts in the fences on the west and east sides. The total cost of the posts was $7.85.
During the early 1950’s the community took up a collection and bought two push type reel mowers. Robert Jackson and any conscripts he could collect used these to maintain the grass cutting.
In the spring of 1966 the board spent $91.57 to install 40 rods of wire fence with all the requisite hardware. Also in the mid-60’s they began paying a Mr. Mills of Tillsonburg to cut the grass.
Elton Jackson and Steve Gregson drew, to scale, a map of all parts of the Smuck Cemetery in 1973. The Director and Cemeteries Branch accepted this diagram August 29, 1973.
Early in the 1970’s the estate of Jamie Nevill provided funds for the installation of a chain link fence along the north side of the cemetery fronting on the fifth line (Jackson Line).
Over the years various community members have served as trustees.
A: 55177 Jackson Line
Straffordville, ON N0J 1Y0