Skip to main content Skip to footer

Burn Permits

Burn permits are issued for rural areas only.

Individuals wishing to set an open air fire, other than cooking fires and campfires, must obtain approval from the Fire Chief in the form of a burn permit. A burn permit outlines specific requirements, restrictions and guidelines the applicant must adhere to when conducting an open air fire.

Apply through the Municipal Office to obtain a burn permit. The fee is $50 which covers you for the year. Payments can be made by cash, cheque or debit at the office or by e-transfer to If paying by e-transfer, ensure to include in the "note" section that it is for a burn permit, along with your address. 

Before starting your burn, you must first call the phone number on the back of your permit to inform you are starting a burn. All fires must be attended at all times by a responsible person. At the completion of the burn, the fire must be completely extinguished and the burn site made safe before it is left unattended. You must then also call the same phone number to inform the fire is now out. 

Burning is prohibited at any location where there is a reasonable probability of fire spreading to a building, structure, grass or other combustible vegetation or material.  Burning is prohibited and all Burn Permits are automatically suspended when there is a smog advisory, or alert issued by the Ontario Ministry of Environment and Energy, or when the Fire Chief, or designate, issues a Ban on any, or all Open-Air Fires.

For any other questions or concerns, please contact the Municipal Office.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.